Minutes of committee meeting held on 16th July 2013
Tadworth and Walton Residents' Association
Minutes of the meeting held on 16th July, 2013 -
(Click here to view, download & print as a pdf file.)

1. Attendance:
Present:
Chairman - Clive Elcome
Vice Chairman - Gillian Hein
Treasurer - Roger Dring
Secretary - Gillian Bockmeulen

In Attendance:
Borough Councillors - Rachel Turner, Vic Broad

Reigate and Banstead Council - Janet Hill

Committee - Bryan Yates, Geoff Hewitt, Ken Chivers, Paul Waller

Apologies: Ann Liddle, Trish Canham, Cllr. Michael Vivona

2. Councillors Presentations
Councillor Turner
Councillor Turner reported re-surfacing to Tadworth Street was expected to start imminently despite assurances the work would take place during the school holidays and was trying to contact Cllr.Mike Gosling. 106 monies were available for widening work outside The Childrens Trust but B.T. had encountered problems in that area.

She reported the theft of two benches outside Nethercott, the first between 4-5 July and the second between 5-6 July. CCTV showed them being removed but the male culprit could not be identified.

She was hopeful the proposed hospital changes would collapse and reported that responses to a letter sent to all G.P.s opposed the changes to Epsom Hospital. Two-thirds want to retain A. and E. and maternity services in Epsom but there were issues with paediatrics and some services may go from Epsom. She said that both St. Helier and Epsom Hospitals would be in the black next year.

Councillor Vic Broad
Vic reported that he had additional responsibilities in the absence of the Leader, Joan Spiers due to her ill health.

He reported a petition had been received concerning the track at Withybed Corner. He explained that this is designated a pathway which leads to 11 houses and a pub. The Council is responsible for the track but it cannot become a road as the conservators object. Last year £27,000 had been spent on repairs and there was a need to provide a better surface. Roger enquired why R. and B. is responsible for maintenance when Surrey C.C. is responsible for Motts Hill Lane. Vic explained that R. And B. is responsible for the Commons.

Clive Elcome raised the issue of lack of enforcement by Traffic Wardens in the area. Vic said there were problems outside Tadworth Tyres but no tickets had been issued.

Walton Planning – Ken Chivers

P/13/01089/F
Southerndown, Egmont Park Road,
Demolish existing house and erect two new houses.

As a copy of the plans was not available, Ken explained that the development was similar to a previous development at Holly House. Although within the conservation area he felt there was little to which we could object. Discussion followed concerning development within such areas and Gillian explained that a conservation area is a statutory designation to include properties of historic interest whereas R.A.S.C’s include properties with a local character. Development in conservation area can occur if it enhances the area. Geoff said if previous applications had been approved it was unlikely that a new application would be rejected. Vic explained that the Council review applications and considers the overall impact on the area. It was decided to write expressing our concerns over the impact this development would have on the conservation area.

Objection
P/13/00963/h.hold
Roxeth, Wonford Close.
Demolish sun lounge and construct two storey side rear and front extension

It was felt that despite being a large development it was in keeping with the overall design and, therefore, there was no objection.

P/12/02045/cu
Traffic Garages, Walton Street.

Concern was expressed about several issues relating to this application principally to the Officer’s Report which the Committee felt had failed to address objections and that a proper analysis had not been undertaken. A petition with 345 signatures had been sent but Vic explained petitions do not affect planning law. Both Rachel and Vic were unhappy about the application and the R.A. queried why the application had not been sent to Committee for consideration. Rachel was particularly concerned about parking and deliveries considering the site’s close proximity with Walton School.

Historically the site had used to repair motors with some retail being added later. The original application had a “P” number but now had a change of use designation. Geoff explained that because of the repair facilities to the rear the land would be contaminated and would require extensive restoration before food could be sold.

Gillian will write outlining objections in response to the Officer’s Report. The initial application was not for a change of use, the concerns about parking and deliveries have not received proper consideration and the modifications that would be needed at the rear of the property.

Tadworth Planning – Gillian Hein
P/00958/F
Far Cotton, 63 Tadorne Road,
Conversion of 4 bed room house subdivided into 2 dwellings

Committee voted that we object on the grounds it is out of character and also sets a precedent for the area.

Object Core Strategy
Gillian gave an update on the Core Strategy which had produced a good outcome for the area. The Inspector’s visit to Nork and Tattenhams at the request of Cllr. Selby had resulted in the Inspector concluding there were opportunities for development there. It was felt we should write and request this to be deleted in his report as it requires more consideration. Our response to the report needs to be sent by August.

Web-site
It was reported that Mike Fox now has the software and he and Ken Hare wish to start putting in data. A pilot scheme is running with a trial in Shelvers Way however, Mike needs information concerning the annual fee and some information on names is incorrect. Clive suggested a vote be taken to increase the fee to £5. 5 members voted for this and it was carried. Roads Stewards will need to check existing information on e-mail addresses for inclusion on the new database as some information is incorrect or has not been updated.

Roger felt we need to recruit more road stewards and it was suggested that contact could be made through the local schools. The date for the Road Steward meeting was discussed and 24th, 25th September and 4th and 3rd October were suggested. Clive will check on Walton Hall availability.

Mike Fox will be invited to the October meeting.

Minutes and Matters arising:

Should read Andrews not Ambrose.

Tony Andrews wishes to show the design of the web-site (Trish/Gillian and Clive) Paul also expressed an interest to attend meeting which Clive will arrange.

Ken Chivers expressed concern that no action had taken place concerning the issues connected with Linden Lea despite contact with Mr. O’Grady. It was decided another site visit should be arranged as cars are being sold on site and recycling is still taking place.

Bryan asked about parking following the consultation and was informed a letter of acknowledgement had been received and when a decision is made the result will be shown on the Surrey C.C. web-site.

It was decided to invite Cllr. Mike Gosling to the next TWRA meeting in September.

Paul had attended a Dyscover meeting and said a volunteer scheme to provide drivers had been started in Walton. He asked if this could be publicized via the Newsletter, Notice Board and ultimately on the web-site.

Minutes were proposed by Bryan Yates and seconded by Gillian Hein.

Update re: Walton Heath Golf Club proposals – Gillian Hein
Gillian reported that following a public meeting in January objections had been raised to the proposed land exchange. A letter has now been received together with a second letter from David Newlands, Chair of the Club stating that the club had been advised to apply under Section 16 (land exchange) in order “to achieve their objectives”. He reported there had been minimal objection at the meeting which was incorrect. If successful this land would lose protection. Response to this proposal is needed before the 9th August and after discussion it was decided that urgent action is required to inform residents of these latest plans and the impact such changes would have, via letter and e-mail, stressing the need to make objections before this date. A letter detailing our objections will be forwarded to the Planning Inspectorate. Gillian explained we can object on the grounds of landscape, public access, bio-diversity and archaeology and will draft the letter to be distributed, initially to Walton residents.John Chiles is covering the issue in this week’s Surrey Mirror and may insert an item next week in view of the TWRA’s decision to object. She will inform the Open Spaces Society, Ramblers Association, Surrey Hills and John Chiles who can include in his newspaper column. Richard Harris, a retired town planner and the Conservators will also be informed.

Paul recommended a printer, Quickprint and offered to get a quote for printing the letter. Committee members will need to distribute letters.

Police Update – Paul Waller
Paul reported the bench theft had already been reported by Rachel. He said that Mike Fox was keen to promote the web-site through notices.

Treasurer’s Report – Roger Dring
Costs associated with the installation of the notice board had been paid.

Correspndence
A letter acknowledging our response to the Parking Consultation had been received from Surrey County Council.
A letter had been received from Reigate and Banstead detailing how planning applications can be accessed electronically. The Committee would still require the weekly printed lists which are supplied at no cost.

A.O.B.
There will be no meeting scheduled for August, however if planning applications need to be considered a meeting can be convened for the third Tuesday in August.