Minutes of committee meeting held on 17th September 2013
Tadworth and Walton Residents' Association
Minutes of the meeting held on 17th September, 2013 -
(Click here to view, download & print as a pdf file.)

1. Attendance:
Present:
Vice Chairman - Gillian Hein
Secretary - Gillian Bockmeulen

In Attendance:
Borough Councillors - Rachel Turner, Michael Vivona

Surrey County Councillor - Michael Gosling

Committee - Bryan Yates, Paul Waller, Hazel Loades

Apologies: Ann Liddle, Trish Canham, Simon Carpenter, Clive Elcome, Vic Broad, Ken Chivers, Geoff Hewitt

2. Tribute:
Gillian announced the death of Dr. Douglas Smith who had been a much liked and well respected member of the Tadworth community and a valued member of the TWRA for 20 years. His funeral will be held at the Randalls Road Crematorium, Leatherhead on 23rd September at 1.15pm. It was suggested that a tribute be included on the website and Rachel Turner expressed the hope that a permanent memorial be established. Michael Gosling offered to fund a bench with Surrey funds, to be erected in Tadworth village. Gillian Hein will send condolences to his family on behalf of the Committee.

3. Treasurer:
Gillian expressed thanks to Roger for all his assistance both as treasurer and as member of the Committee over many years and in view of the extent of his local knowledge he has agreed to assist with planning applications in his area where appropriate for which we are grateful.
Mr. Robin Parr-Davies has agreed to become Treasurer of the TWRA.

4. Councillors' Updates
Councillor Turner
Rachel Turner reported that following a complaint, investigation showed the structures to the rear of One Stop had changed from being used as a rubbish storage area and were now being used as a Training facility. The Enforcement Officers have been investigating this matter. There has also been concern over the amount of rubbish that is being left at the side of the building. Michael Gosling suggested that Environmental Health be informed.
Building work at No. 1 Cross Road had caused problems with builder’s vehicles parking outside the shops. Traffic staff investigated and the vehicles have now been moved. An application has been received for electric gates and the hedges have grown over the public pathway. Mark Wilson from the Town Hall has spoken to the new owners.
Commenting on the web-site, Councillor Turner asked if a different font could be used and also wished that details of the Councillors, doctors, groups, churches and the library at Tattenham Corner be included. It was hoped the web site details could be displayed on the notice board.
The Fox and Hound Public House continues to cause concern and a meeting is to take place next week between the Licensing Department, brewery, police and owner to address the complaints. It was suggested the committee write to Paul Holliday, the Licensing Officer to ask if the licensing hours be reduced.

Councillor Michael Vivona
Councillor Vivona reported that a planning inspector has recently allowed a development for 100 dwellings at Horley on the basis that the Council cannot reach its 5 year target because of slow progress in the Horley N.W.sector. This has serious implications elsewhere in the Borough.
He reported that there was positive progress on reaching agreement with the football club regarding the leisure centre site, (without the need for CPO powers). Tenders have gone out for the Preston site.
Sutton and East Surrey Water Company had apologised for problems on the A217 as a result of the water works along that road.
Gatwick Airport expansion discussions had to consider what is good for residents in this area although central government will determine if the expansion takes place. Many Surrey residents are employed there but infrastructure issues remain as well as environmental concerns.
A meeting, organised by GACC and CPRE, will take place on 23rd October.

Councillor Michael Gosling
Councillor Gosling confirmed that Tadworth Street has been swept as well as clearing of the central reservation of the A217 to the Surrey border. There are plans to clear wood and debris along the A217 as far as Burgh Heath.
He confirmed that 8-9 inspectors will, from November, check up on road works by the utility companies.
He outlined the need to provide 16,000 additional school places, an increase from the original proposal of 11,000 places. The council will receive a £21 million grant which represents 5% of the total bill with the rest coming from council tax resulting in a possible compromise on the social care budget.
He outlined the changes to parking regulations stating that the lines outside the Childrens Trust and at the traffic island near Tadworth School would be extended.
The plans for changes at Shelvers Way had been abandoned.
At One-Stop there would be 1 hour parking and restrictions on one side of Cross Road and Epsom Lane South. Lines at the corner of Tadorne Road and Howards Close would be extended. In Walton it is anticipated that the former Traffic Garage will become a supermarket and a goods only loading bay will be provided.
No waiting between 8 and 9.30am in front of Tower Road and No parking between 8 and 9.30pm to prevent commuters parking in the area. The red lines are to be extended to give better visibility at corners and 2 hour parking bays in front of shops. Deliveries can load/unload for 20 minutes.
He hoped these new arrangements would be in place by next year but orders needed to be drawn up first.
Gillian Hein asked if residents paid £235 to the Council, could they plant a tree and Councillor Gosling agreed to find out.

5. Walton Planning
Traffic Garage, Walton Street - Change of use from “SUI GENERIS” Car show room to Class A1 Shop
Plans have been submitted for two parking slots and one disabled. Gillian Hein confirmed that planning approval had been given with conditions. The applicant has said under the small work construction plan asbestos had to be removed but this did not apply in this case as this was a new build. Gillian reported that this was incorrect. Deliveries would be made between 7-8am, 9.30-2.00pm and 5-7.00pm. Deliveries will need to be planned in advance. There was no mention of ground pollution despite vehicle repairs being carried out at the rear of the site in the past. Councillor Turner expressed concern about deliveries because of the site’s close proximity to Walton School and is extremely concerned about the safety of the children going to and from the school.
The Committee felt that the planning process in this instance had not been carried out well.
Budgens have applied to the Licensing Department to sell alcohol between 8am and 11.00pm. Ken Chivers has written to object and wants it restricted to 9.00am-9.00pm. There are other outlets selling alcohol in the village and Gillian will write to object outlining current issues, including the problems at the Fox and Hounds Public House. There is a 19th September deadline for comments and it was agreed that we would request shorter hours.

13/01490CLP - South Side, Sturts Lane, Walton on the Hill. Construction of two garden walls
Enforcement officers have been requested to investigate this site on many occasions for unauthorised business activities. There are concerns that the proposed garden building will be used for commercial uses. Ken has indicated that the site may be sold as 3 lots, one of which could be storage/commercial.

Tadworth Planning
13/01366 - Site of former Royal Phoenix, Dorking Road. Erection of a building to provide 11 flats with associated parking and works following demolition of existing building
The RA has objected to only 18 spaces for 11 units and the massing of the development as it borders the Green Belt. However, permission has already been granted on appeal. The Committee expressed concern at the impact on parking for the Grumpy Mole.

No. 38 Tadorne Road
There are concerns that the large shed erected without permission is being used for machinery and building material storage. Enforcement officers are involved and a retrospective planning application has been submitted to which the RA has objected.
For Information:
In the absence of an August meeting, Gillian had sent comments to the Council on applications for 2 dwellings at 14, Downsway and revised plans for the Ketcham’s site where a minimum 4 metre set back is now proposed for buildings adjacent to Jubilee Woodland. In the case of the former, although smaller units would have been preferred, on balance the scheme was better than the previous applications, and with Ketchams, a bigger set back would have been preferred but as an earlier plan has gone to appeal it seemed preferable to accept the revisions rather than risk the appeal layout being granted.

6. Minutes & Matter Arising:
Minutes agreed: Hazel Loades Seconded: Gillian Hein

7. Walton Heath Golf Club:
Gillian Hein reported that a Public Enquiry will be held to consider the Club’s application to de-register Common Land but this would not take place until April to May or June, 2014. It was agreed that letters will be sent out to residents inviting their comments. The RA is in correspondence with the Council on how they have dealt with the Gold Club’s applications and has not received satisfactory responses.

8. Police Update:
Paul Waller had attended a successful meeting with Commander Heycock at which Mike Fox had updated attendees on the Neighbourhood Watch Scheme.
There had been little crime to report although lead had been stolen from St. John’s Church. Cyber crime remains high in Surrey. There will be the opening of the new Salfords Custody Cells on 2nd November.

9. Correspondence:
A copy of the Burgh Heath Newsletter had been received and was circulated to the meeting for comment.
A resident in Mill Lane had written concerning problems with the road surface which they had repaired but which had been removed by the council. Permission for repairs is required from Reigate and Banstead Borough Council, Surrey County Council and the Conservators.

10. Any Other Business:
A Road Stewards Meeting will be held on 3rd October at 7.30pm in the Breech Lane Community Centre, Walton. People will be asked to comment on the new web site and Mike Fox will update on the new Neighbourhood Watch Scheme outlining what information he needs for it.
Road Stewards will be asked to speak to residents about the proposed standing orders arrangement, and additionally, check e-mails address when the Autumn Newsletter is delivered.
There will be a briefing on the Walton Heath Golf Club application.
Newsletter: This will be prepared in the next four weeks and require contributions.
Paul Waller: Police matters, Clive Elcome: Chairman’s report and changes to the way we are organised. Gillian Hein: Tadworth Planning, Core Strategy, Jubilee Woodland, Beecham’s Field. Ken Chivers: Walton planning. Trish Canham: Federation news, community article and the Cycle Ride. Robin Parr-Davies: Teasurer’s Report. Michael Vivona: Borough Re-cycling update
Bryan Yates reported that EDICS had been closed in the Ebbisham Centre following the failure to get a renewal of its contract. Patients are now being directed to other providers, principally Epsom Hospital.
Hazel Loades suggested that the TWRA set up a Twitter link and expressed her willingness to prepare this for the Committee.
The next meeting will be on 15th October, 2013