Minutes of committee meeting held on 19th November 2013
Tadworth and Walton Residents' Association
(Click here to view, download & print as a pdf file.)

1. Attendance:
Present:
President - Dr. Simon Carpenter
Chairman - Clive Elcome
Vice Chairman - Gillian Hein
Treasurer - Robin Parr-Davies
Secretary - Gillian Bockmeulen

In Attendance:
Surrey C.C. - Cllr. Michael Gosling

Borough Councillors - Rachel Turner

Reigate & Banstead Council - Janet Hill

Committee - Ken Chivers, Geoff Hewitt, Hazel Loades, Paul Waller, Trish Canham

Apologies - Ann Liddle, Cllr. Vic Broad, Bryan Yates

2. Councillor's Presentation:
Councillor Michael Gosling

Mike updated the Committee on the progress of the parking review. There are 130 orders being drawn up for Reigate and Banstead and when approved details will be published in local newspapers. He anticipates changes will take place in the Spring with work taking approximately 2-3 days. Ken Chivers asked why changes had occurred at the new Budgens site without an order and Mike agreed to investigate if proper procedures had not been followed. He explained that residents could follow progress on highway matters via the Surrey County Council website. Details of committee meeting are published 10 days in advance.

Residents in St. Peter’s Close have made submissions concerning parking problems and had asked if a CPZ be considered. Mike explained that this could cause further problems and CPZs can have a detrimental effect on small businesses causing losses in a vibrant community. He agreed to consider what impact a CPZ would have and confirmed that he had been in communication with residents. It was felt that employees of local companies were causing parking problems but this had been impossible to verify.

Geoff Hewitt enquired who was responsible for clearing roads as there had been an obstruction in Hurst Road for 3 weeks and Mike replied that Surrey County Council removed trees and Reigate and Banstead were responsible for debris.

Councillor Turner
Rachel updated on continuing problems at the Fox and Hound Pub in Walton saying 5 arrests had been made following an assault on 16th November. The owner had been told to remove certain signs which have now gone. There are continuing issues which Rachel is monitoring and Clive thanked her on behalf of the Committee for her hard work to resolve the problems.

She reported that food banks in Preston will be opened at the Raven site, Marbles Way, on 1st December and last for 6 weeks. She reported that 88 recipients in the Tattenham Ward, 31 Preston, 16 Lower Kingswood were using foods banks which were being organised by the churches and Kerry (?). Pfizer had been a generous supporter of the food banks. Geoff asked if supermarkets could donate unwanted food but was informed that fresh food could not be used due to health and safety issues.

She reported 76% of the GPs at Surrey Downs had voted to reject the BSBV plan but changes at Epsom Hospital would need to happen. Sutton MPs are organising a similar vote to protect services at St. Helier Hospital. Chris Grayling, M.P. is holding a further meeting to discuss the future of Epsom Hospital.

Following a recent walk around the area she reported that road sweeping needs to be arranged, Vic Broad is dealing with this. The approach to Walton village is to be discussed.

There are still problems with rubbish at One-stop and Rachel agreed to follow up complaints.

She reported that Crispin Blunt had been successful in a recent vote by Conservative Association members, with a 5 to 1 majority, to be re-selected to stand as MP at the next General Election.

Janet Hill - Reigate & Banstead
Janet reported on the Pfizer Award Scheme, successful applicants will be notified shortly. The following had applied for grants: Walton Community Centre, Tadworth Primary School, 1st Tadworth Sea Scouts, Riddell Hall, Walton Primary School, Mid-Surrey Pony Club, Walton Warriors, Church of the Good Shepherd and the School on the Green.

The criteria for grants is to change and following discussion it was felt the Preston area should be nominated in the future.

3. Walton Planning – Ken Chivers
13/01565/F
7, Breech Lane
Demolish existing house. Erect 2 new semi-detached with parking spaces
Committee considered the design was out of character and a better design was needed in view of its proximity to the conservation area, there would be insufficient parking and overdevelopment of the site.
Object

13/01761/FR
Fairwind, Hurst Drive
Demolish existing bunglalow. Replace with 5 bed house
As no site plans were available at the meeting, it was decided to establish if there were landscape plans available. It was considered the site would be somewhat over-developed, however if the proposed development was no bigger than the existing footprint there would be no objection.

13/01361/F Lot9WaltonOaks Erection of storage depot
The erection of this facility would impact on the Green Belt and as there is insufficient access this too, would impact on the area. The applicant has not shown there are exceptional circumstances to allow this construction and has storage facilities at its existing deport.
Object

Tadworth Planning – Gillian Hein
13/01913/HHold
The Grange, New Road
Demolition of existing precast concrete garage and construction of oak frame two car garage, garden shed and linking open log store
No objection

13/02040/
14 Downs Way
Demolition of existing house and erection of 2 detached dwellings with integral garages
No objection

4. Correspondence:
a) With regard to the Preston Application the Committee had objected on grounds of over- development. Although we supported the construction of a new path across the common, we suggested that the route link up with the ASDA traffic lights. The church in Preston is to be re-built.
b) White Lodge: the applicant has lodged a second appeal
c) Royal Phoenix Site: Planning for flats has been approved
d) Enforcement Officers are investigating the building in Motts Hill Lane
e) The last meeting of the Examination in Public takes place on 10th. It is hoped that the Inspector will find the plan sound. Gillian is having a meeting with the policy officers to discuss our draft response.

5. Minutes and Matters Arising:
No.38 Tadorne Road: Applicant is appealing the refusal of the retrospective planning application
Minutes proposed: Simon Carpenter Seconded: Ken Chivers

6. Walton Heath Golf Club:
It was agreed that following receipt of the Council’s response to our letter of complaint concerning bias, the TWRA will go to the 2nd stage of the complaints procedure. The Public Enquiry concerning Walton Golf Club’s application to de-register common land will take place on 21, 22 and 23rd May, 2014 at the Dorking Hall, Dorking.

7. Standing Orders – Clive Elcome
Clive updated that Committee on progress stating that a letter explaining changes would be given to all road stewards and that the Autumn newsletter would be distributed shortly. He emphasised the need to check e-mail addresses for inclusion on the new database. Standing order forms will be distributed with the Spring 2014 Newsletter but it was decided not to include a cut-off date, however, Robin Parr-Davies said that a reference must be included on the S.O. form in order to identify residents signed up to the scheme.
Trish Canham is to ask Sam to email the newsletters.

8. Police – Paul Waller
Paul reported on a burglary at Meadow Walk, Walton. He felt Twitter was the most efficient way to send out updates and information could be found on the Borough Commander’s Twitter feed #at Richard Haycock. He reported on problems at the Fox and Hounds Pub.
There had been property thefts from 2 cars.
A person had been requesting money from people at the Premier Inn. He also reported an increase in card fraud crime. Information will be placed on the notice board. He also reported the theft of catalytic converters from cars.
The Chief Constable had been nominated for an award.

9. A.O.B.
As no donations have been made this year it was suggested that the following be considered: Church of the Good Shepherd – towards the building fund, Food Banks, St. John’s Nursery and a bench in memory of Dr. Douglas Smith. A decision on these is to be made at the next meeting.
Ken Chivers reported that the Duck House has now been fixed on Walton Pond.
Hazel Loades updated the Committee on the Twitter account and informed that any information would only be sent out with its agreement.
Clive reported that the Gage Players would be presenting Semi-Detached by David Turner on 28th, 29th and 30th November at the Riddell Hall.
Paul is to repair the cork backing to the notice board.

The next meeting with be held at 39, Meadow Walk, Walton on the Hill