Walton on the Hill
Walton is an ancient settlement; there are signs of Prehistoric and Iron Age activity on Walton Heath. There are two Roman villas in the area, one on the Heath and the other in Sandlands Rd. in private gardens. Neither is now visible but both have been excavated and recorded.

Church
The Parish Church of St Peter's is supposed to date from 1268 but there may have been an earlier church on the site, as the lead font is dated 1150-60. The church has been rebuilt and repaired several times and contains Roman tiles in its walls. Its appearance was greatly altered in 1894 when the tower was rebuilt as it had become dangerous.

Walton Manor
At the Norman Conquest the Manor was given to Richard de Tonbridge. It then passed through several owners before being acquired by the Crown. Henry VIII gave it to Catherine of Aragon as part of her marriage settlement, and then took it back again upon their divorce! There is a tradition that Anne of Cleves stayed there, but alas no hard evidence. In 1629 the Manor passed to the Carew family of Beddington who kept it until 1864. They also owned the advowson of the Church. The Manor House has parts dating to the 14th Century including the remnants of a hall and chapel. It had become a mere farmhouse until extensively remodelled in 1891.In the grounds of the Manor there is a mound or motte, whose origin is uncertain. It has been suggested that it was a moot hill or meeting place, another view is that it was a fortification of some kind, possibly Norman.

One of the most popular attractions of the village is the Mere Pond on the edge of the Heath, much visited today by children feeding the swans, but formerly of great importance as the village water supply.

Walton Street still contains several old houses, though many others have been altered and rebuilt. The village is happily still surrounded by its farm lands and open Heath and Commons. One area of which is used by the world famous Walton Heath Golf Club. The establishment of which caused many large houses to be built in the village at the beginning of the 20th Century.

The area is well supplied with pubs; well known are the Chequers and the Fox and Hounds, both having been altered or rebuilt over the years, but dating from at least the early 1800s. The Bell, or the Rat as it is familiarly known was originally only a beer house, and frequented by the stable lads from the race course.

On the western side of Deans Lane and on the Heath there are iron posts with the arms of the City of London marked on them. These are the Coal Posts and once marked the territory within which the City was entitled to levy duties on coal and wine. These taxes were then used for the improvement of the City and the area around it, including the buying of open spaces for recreation. They were useful allies in the great court case when Banstead Heath and Downs which adjoin Walton Heath, were preserved for the people.

Information courtesy of Walton & Tadworth Local History Society.
www.waltonandtadworthlhs.org.uk
Stacks Image 49